Thursday, August 17, 2017

Hitting the Poker Life Reset Button and Critical Future Planning Post Online Ban

So many industries are so secure and the gambling industry is without a doubt one of the most secure. Gambling and sex are in our life everywhere we go. They are sellers, big sellers, they are industries or parts of life that will never change. Life is a gamble and the population depends on sex. Both are almost like taxes and death, they are staying. Though there are clearly sectors of these industries that can be hurt badly. We all know where I am heading! The ban on online poker in Australia and as the blog article states, hitting that poker reset button in a way we just never expected. Or did we?

Black Friday in America was very hard for me. So many people do not realize just how hard. I am talking nervous breakdown hard here, not just a little hard, ridiculously hard. I wasn't alone, I remember people near suicidal losing their homes, cars, lifestyle, family - aka life! I didnt lose my kids, thy were always staying, I did lose all my sponsorship, my bank roll, my chances of playing (I was grinding $1/$2- $3/$6 cash tables on line and entering some big tourneys to say the least) and wasnt using my money, the joys of being backed! I lost my jobs pertaining to writing, marketing and well, clearly, the lot! Need I continue? There is another blog post to explain how I in Australia lost all of this while many just lost the funds they had online.

So, here I go again, this time the hit isn't as hard. I haven't been making ridiculously large amounts of money but rather working my way back up the poker food chain very carefully. I haven't been receiving any sponsorship benefits or large sums of money from being employed by a room to market or the like. With that said, there are Aussies that have! There are Australians that will lose money left right and center from this and when it comes to lifestyle and choices, we have all lost out there. I think that's the hardest part, this changes who we are, at this stage, indefinitely.

I am not writing this as a poor me / sob story, I am writing this in hope that I help. My insight into what people are losing is great, I have been one of the lucky Aussies to have already been here and gone through this reset. People overlook losses that we all face such as not being able to play online qualifiers for live tourneys such as Aussie Millions, VIC Champs and even WSOP. I can tell you that this is like quitting smoking, online poker is habitual, especially when its been such a big part of your life for a very long time. I am not saying habitual in a bad way, its been great for us all! Bored? Play some poker online! Want to qualify for $2 to a big game? Play some poker online! Want to study something unique and be the best you can at it? Study some online poker! This of course leads one to the thought of the loss when it comes to time & study. I know you have all put in countless hours, more than imaginable and many a dollar on literature and learning. It really is equivalent to becoming a heart surgeon only to be told you can never go near a patient again. The time investment is years, it hurts.

I hoped from my prior experience I can help you deal with the loss of something you put so much effort into learning & studying - something you have made a big part of your life, something that is life, something that is a lifestyle (all while I punch out my own thoughts and self help). I am afraid that the only advice I can really give this time is take up live poker at a more constant level or move countries if poker is your plan. Or, take up another in-depth technical hobby, Minecraft, anyone? Chess? Evelyn comes to mind! I used to play that game a lot between hands!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails