Saturday, April 2, 2011

Poker AFL Luck and Sport

It was only this morning I realized how right I had been about poker being a sport, well almost a sport hehe. I had many the argument (or rather discussion) with David Saab over this topic. Is poker a sport? He said no as there was no sweating involved. I said yes as there was sweating involved. He said it wasn't a game that took physical endurance, I said it was; as 12 plus hours sitting and concentrating and having sleepless nights - one certainly physically feels the pain. Anyway back to the title heading. Is the luck factor in AFL and Poker comparable? I know all the AFL players and supporters out there are going to say I am nuts! I say "Think about it".

How many times have you been on the sideline or on the field and said or thought "Damn! Bad bounce!" or "Wow! Lucky Bounce". I ask you - is that lucky or bad bounce not equivalent to a bad flop or lucky flop? AFL players train hard, poker players also do. Serious ones anyway, players from both games who are serious about their game give it all they have! Is this not again comparable?

All of the training involved amounts to a massive amount of skill. This skill excelling to levels of elite levels over years and years of playing, training and studying the game they love. There is also the natural ability factor we must add in. There are so many AFL and poker players that have a natural talent for the games.

In saying all of this, it doesn't matter how skilled an AFL player is, he can be right in front of goals about to receive a kick which if it bounces his way will result in a posession and goal! The same applies to a poker player who is hitting the river and turn and hoping the right card comes down. If an AFL player cops a bad bounce thats SUCH BAD LUCK!! Such a BAD BOUNCE!! If a poker player cops a bad turn card or is rivered after being in front, the same applies - SUCH BAD LUCK!!! Such a BAD CARD!!

Remember that it doesn't matter what sport you are playing, there is always a luck factor. Cricket bats break, runners get bad lanes, soccer players can slip over, polo cross players can have their horse go mad. It doesnt matter what sport you play - you are sure to cop some bad luck and or a bad beat.

That brings me back to the luck comparison. Poker is comparable when it comes to luck and skill, against AFL - against any sport at all really. I think that makes it a sport (That's thinks - still not 100% certain). Again, I expect attacks, especially from people who don't know what bad bounces are :)

I should take this opportunity to get all my overseas friends barracking for the right team in AFL lol. Regardless of results, the best team is as per the logo used for this post: The Richmond Tigers :)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails