Monday, July 31, 2017

Poker Psychology Strategy for Elite and Beginner Poker Players

Many years ago, in fact, back in 2010 to 2011 I started blogging a series on poker psychology. What were my qualifications to do such a thing? I expressed experience and observation, side equipped with a lot of reading and research. Why did I do this? I did this as there was only a small amount of literature available that I, myself, for myself, could find. When I looked, I saw only advanced poker psychology strategy information. I was wrong, I didnt look hard enough. I now find a vast array of books, articles and strategy by players and authors such as Mike Caro and my new favorite Psychologist when it comes to the world of Poker, Dr Alan N. Schoonmaker, Ph.D. Psychologist & poker player whos experience beyond destroys mine or any other man or womans I have seen when it comes to poker psychology, mindset and strategy. If there are others I overlook as better, please advise me otherwise.

As I sit writing this blog post I have with me four of Alans books to read, a second time, more thoroughly than the first. Alan not only has books specifically on psychology but a tonne of books he has published relating to poker and business, game play and more. Alan Schoonmaker has co-written with one of pokers other elites, David Sklansky & is widely discussed as an author on 2+2. None of this chit chat, or throwing around titles can compare to talking with Dr Schoonmaker who humbly discussed his life, his knowledge and his legacy to the world of poker via his written genius with me.

Its not often I do long interviews, in fact, I have done around ten of them in what can only be classed as a veteran career. In the last four years, the number of interviews conducted at length is but one. The man of the hour, the man with the knowledge and the man I would choose to set me straight via written text or consultation o my poker mindset and game (if this were available) any day! I took an entire hour out of my busy schedule at the World Series of Poker to sit and talk with Alan about all of his brilliance wrapped into around fourty book titles and the outcome was a very impressed lady, with a great understanding of what separates the great from the good. It was an hour I appreciate.

Quite a few of Alan Schoonmakers book subjects are so very different from what we can find available in general. I currently have in my position one of a kind books such as how to beat killed hold'em games, beating small poker games (which I recommend to all players who are not elitists) and in particular a book suited to those that want to keep that brain power functioning, Stay Young Play Poker (aka - use it or lose it!). These are but small amounts of examples of the variance of knowledge on offer from this brilliant man. In particular, in my current grasp is a book titled "Competitive Edged Strategies For Poker and Business Winners". This book is exceptional for those that want a comparison or, competitive edge on both a business and poker level. That's not what we are here to discuss though.

Some people in the poker industry, alike me, as an example, focus their lives within poker to report it, concentrate on poker life and tabloids or lifestyle as a whole, all while counting the odd chip stack. Others just play poker, they play hard, long and daily and learn via study along the way. Some are executives that we, the poker community, need to keep this little world of poker running well. Then,  there are the Alan Schoonmakers, the authors, writers, teachers, the humble beings that take a back stance behind the crowd to observe and bring an elite skill set to the table, in writing, to help perfect our games, if we are smart enough to use the information they table for us.

What most mesmerizes me about Dr Alan Schoonmaker is his most humble ways yet bright, sharp mind. Its quite clear that Alan is no poker star, no Daniel Negreanu, rather a poker playing genius that would rather focus on the academics, skills knowledge, writing ability and of course the psychology relating to poker and its cross overs that so many of us are in need of educating on. Alan has taught

all around the world in his field of expertise and this my friends (education) does not come cheap. Or, didn't, until now! In this new day and age of technological wisdom we can all self teach and self teach quite cheaply via e-books, kindles and taking on board the lessons of some of the poker worlds greatest professors from the comfort of our own beds. From $2 - and an instant download!

I have been foolish in the past, I have sought knowledge from the incorrect people, I have tried to pass on my own knowledge in somewhat untouched fields to the beginners on the poker scene and although I was correct in doing this on certain levels, I went about it entirely the wrong way on others. I have fallen, I have risen, I have learned and now I want to pass on what I know in a smart way! When it comes to niche areas of poker, do not look to anyone for the information other than those that or high class professionals. Doctors, professors, experts in fields that have passed on knowledge just like Alan Schoonmaker has, via writings assembled specifically to suit your needs.

Of course, one should already know the summary of my blog! If you are after in depth psychology or strategy or even just a beginners taste, when it comes to the teachings of a great poker psychologist, you really should go to Amazon and download Alan N Schoonmakers books. At the very low cost (again, some as low as $2) these digital book copies are - and the fact that they are in various languages, there is simply no further excuses to tap into your own conscious, subconscious, the conscious of others and lift your psychological edge at the poker table from this day forward. Click links within articles to do just that!

I wouldn't be me if I didn't end with a super yet strange positive and acknowledgement! My greatest thanks to Alan for sharing his knowledge and wisdom with me, and all of his book titles so that I can go on a squirmy little book worm adventure into the unknown. Heres to getting into your heads a little more in the near future :)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails