Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Poker God and The Poker Devil


Players always talk about the poker god. They call out to him and beg him for a win in their poker tournaments. They ask the poker god or poker “gods” to be kind. In the actual bibles we read about the god that apparently made this wonderful world, it is pretty much stated that god does not inflict pain or suffering. God, Jesus, the people who wrote the bible, whoever came up with this theory blames the devil for pain and suffering. Right?

We all curse the poker gods when we cop the worst bad beat, a bad beat from "hell". Commonly spoken words are “The poker gods were not with me today!” Shouldn’t we be saying the “Poker devil cursed me with the worst bad beat ever!”? Clearly the “poker gods” were on the winner’s side when the bad beat occurred. Clearly if people are going to call out and pray to poker gods they should also curse that little monstrous poker devil that inflicts us pain. After all we are following the bible type theory right? In a matter of words anyway!

The poker devil we all know but choose to ignore as we blame the poker gods is a mean little sucker! They say good always conquers evil but when it comes to poker, sometimes I just don’t know! Who has ever seen ships running over boats in the ocean? It may happen once in a blue moon; at the poker table it happens frequently! Curse the poker devil is what I say!

If we were to think back and compare to actual religious teachings; that god cares for us as the devil causes pain, things would make more sense when shitty bad beats occur or we have a massive downhill run. We can’t blame the poker god for this occurrence, he is the one that helps our pocket aces hold up and is clearly overrun by the poker devil at times. Blaming the poker god is hypocritical! If we are going to be praying to him, we can’t be cursing him at the same time. Maybe asking “Why, why? Why did this happen?”is acceptable that’s about it though.

I know this is one crazy piece of writing; it’s as crazy as you sound to someone that doesn’t play poker when you mumble that the poker god was an arse today! It would however; SURELY make more sense to a non poker playing person if you said “No mate, I didn’t win. The damn poker devil made sure of that today!” Ok, maybe saying that would sound crazy too; it would however make more sense in a poker concept though – wouldn’t it?

It’s all a bit whacky and also a little silly but lots of fun for us to call upon poker gods or curse a poker devil. I am going to be doing both from now on. Cursing that little devil and praying the poker gods fight him to make my hands hold up is going to be my crazy thing, even if no-one else does it!

“Dear poker god, please be by my side during my poker game and make sure that little devil doesn’t have my boats run over with ships! AMEN.”

P.S. writing this was fun and was not done under the influence of drugs lol

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?

December 4, 2010 at 4:33 AM
Danielle Adams-Benham said...

Thanks I think, this is a crazy piece of writing though I thought; as explained in it. You can contact me at my gmail address or via here for now. Please advise what type of writing you are after.

December 4, 2010 at 5:42 AM
Anonymous said...

Hi there

Can I link to this post please?

December 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM
Danielle Adams-Benham said...

Sure

December 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM
Related Posts with Thumbnails