Monday, May 23, 2011

Benefits Tips Playing Suited Connectors

The big debate! Playing premium poker hands, waiting for premium poker hands, having patience, raking everyone's bucks up each time those pocket aces are in your hand. Do we sit and wait for these hands or mix and match it around a little? As Gus Hansen always says "A little bit of this, a little bit of that". Do we play all hands when we are in position to do so - ANY TWO CARDS or wait?

I answered a question on facebook not so long ago - "What is the best starting hand?". It doesn't take a genius to determine this right? AA without a doubt in my mind! AA was of course my answer. This does not mean that it is the best hand after the flop though, it also doesn't mean its the best hand if you are seen as a Gus Hansen and are deadly when it comes to those suited connectors and small pairs. Any good player post flop if they are smart enough will fold pocket aces if they suspect it must be done. Pocket aces are the best starting hand and premium hands are the best hands to start with, in most cases.

There are times when not sitting waiting for premium poker hands is a must. When must we mix and match our game about?

When you are being blinded out and need to protect your blinds, you must play in a tournament. Folding and busting with minimal chips just isn't going to work. Pick your spots and play your cards. Before you do however, be sure to have a plan in your head, if you miss the flop - you need to be representing a hand you do not have and be willing to back off.

When you are on a table full of tight bums playing suited connectors and small pairs its a must in my opinion to play suited connectors and small pairs, even 69suited is sexy to me! You know they are all waiting for their pocket aces and AK /AQ/ AJ/ JJ and so on and so forth so if you hit the flop nicely they are doomed. Be sure to get a nice price on these cards though. You wouldn't call an all in - that would be stupid. Get nice pot odds for your cards. As per above, be sure to have a plan in your head, if you miss the flop - you need to be representing a hand you do not have and be willing to back off.

Play them around the blinds on cash tables, specifically short handed. I have found this to be an optimal way of keeping the cash in your kitty for the premium hands that you will eventually get. You can not just sit there waiting for AA KK QQ - If you do, you are going broke. Raise, if you are re-raised again, back off. The amount of cash you can make stealing, stealing stealing is amazing. If you hit the flop with 2 pair or a set and your opponent hits their ace, again its bliss for you.

Play them occasionally to take away the "rock solid player" title you may have been given, it will ensure you will be paid off when your big hands hit. Show the cards if you need to fold (not always just once or twice) and the other players may be thinking this guy plays anything therefore when you hit a nice big premium hand they will throw their cash your way, believing you have crap (I must specify not all players just some).

Lets consider the attributes of a player that plays premium hands and pocket pairs only. They fold, fold, fold, fold and then call. What have they got? It doesnt take a genius to work out 22,33,44,55,66,77,88,99 is sitting in their hands right? Maybe A 10 off suit? We know they dont have 78, 9 10, 56 etc - they only play premium hands and small pockets. A 10 is likely the worse of the Ax combinations and 99 the worst of the lower pockets - why? They are rock solid and tight and flat called.....

Next your in a hand with them and they raise! ummm Dude, I know you have AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 10 10, Ak, AQ, AJ and possibly A10 suited. Do you really want to be as readable as that? Stop, think and smile as you play your mix and match hands as you know that they cant read you and if they do what are they reading?

Playing suited connectors and small pairs equates to the following attributes (compared to the rock solid premium card player):

Little me the mix and match player that has shown a few connected suited starting hands and small pairs and even a 69 suited has flat called - lets look at the difference of what my hand ranges are and how much harder I am to read. I flat call I could have 22,33,44,55,66,77,88,99, A10, 23s, 34s, 45s, 56s, 67s, 78s, 89s, 9 10s. also add 10 Jos, J Qos, KQos. Much wider range yeah? Not predictable! Very Scarey!

So, now I raise! AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 10 10, AK, AQ, AJ, A 10 suited or otherwise, KQs, QJ suited or possibly an of the lower pairs such as 99,88,77,66 depending on the table I play at - again, a much larger hand range right?

Let's place me in a fictional hand with the rocks - those only playing premium starting hands. I am in the BB and the rock raises 3 times the BB. I am getting not so bad odds with my 9 10s. The flop is QJ8 - The opponent is all but shipping every last cent into the pot with QQ, JJ right? Bring it on! I have a straight and a flush draw! Would they even suspect this if i had not previously shown I was a rock? I think not. The flop could be very different though, in this case I know i am beaten and its time to back off!

Playing suited connectors isn't a good idea from first position in my experience, there are so many more people to act so don't do it, you will waste you money pre flop. There is a time, there is a place too. In your blind areas and on a table when there are no more LAGS (loose aggressive players) left to act. A lot must be considered and studied before playing them. Don't lose your shirt attempting to hit a flop and know when and when not to chase.

Chase with your suited connectors post flop if you have a straight draw and a flush draw. No point taking a chance on a possible 6 outs right? Be a little aggressive if you are against a rock that you are positive have AK AQ AJ and see if they back off, if they don't its time for you to. Again do not lose your shirt! It can be a good trap or a very expensive outcome!

Before attempting to play suited connectors at any table with cash you really should study the odds and when and when not to play them a little more. Half of what I have written in this blog post is from my experience and I am not Gus Hansen or Daniel Negreanu. I don't claim to be an expert, just a person who wants to help players at a newbie level play the game a little more to its and their potential. I have been playing low limits of late and tonight I got my ass kicked playing premium hands only except for a miss click thanks to my little darling kids with an all in bet with me holding 74s lol. 2 days ago I smashed heads at the same limits as I threw in a "Little bit of this and a little bit of that". I certainly know what I prefer. Screw being read by other players bring on my suited connectors and some beautiful flops and tight players!

My favorite hand is today's blog pic! 78 is the year I was born, diamonds a girls best friend and suited connectors!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails