Wednesday, July 15, 2009

3 Stage NL Texas Hold’em Poker Tournament Play (1 – First Stage)

It has always been a certainty in my mind that tournament play must be split into 3 stages, the start, middle and final stages. I have had many people tell me that it is the first stages of a poker tournament that they find very relaxing. Play safe, play tight, sit back and relax is their theory.

The survival stages of a tournament are seen as phase 1 and 2 by most of these players. The final stage: cashing!

I tend to think a little differently, especially seeing these people who find “the first stages of a tournament very relaxing (that according to them is merely a “survival stage”) come to me for advice on the final stage of their poker tournament. Usually I direct them to look closely at their initial tournament phase, as I know this is where the actual issue is. They haven’t played enough hands! They have played the “safe, survival” theory!

Surviving is a must in a poker tournament, especially in the first stage; but survival does not mean playing completely safe and taking no risks, in my opinion. I have been cashing non-stop lately during online poker tournament play. In fact, not just cashing, but winning. I am taking down a lot of tourneys! I shall discuss my tournament play strategy as compared to most.

I don’t just play premium hands in the first stages of a poker tournament. I play position; I steal, and like a chipmunk I gather chips! I don’t fold every hand that isn’t premium. I play what people see as “risky” but it is all worthwhile! I am always out in front come middle and final poker tournament stages because I chip gathered and did not sit waiting for pocket aces.

Try my method in your next tourney. Forget about the common theories! See how you go using my theory and see if it works for you. The main points of my first stage theory are; thieve blinds, play small suited connectors, A 10 off suit, the unexpected hands, do it while everyone else plays SAFE - but back off when you smell danger. Remember the blinds are small and you can take advantage of playing these types of poker hands cheaply!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails