Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Your Poker Career (1) How to Become a Pro Player

Of recent times a lot has happened in the poker world, from UGEIA through to the EPT and the unfortunate passing of popular players in our poker world. Poker is televised every night on television and is indeed in a boom that I can not see stopping. Amidst all of this, there is one topic many people keep coming to me asking about. It is certainly a questionable topic that has been Justify Fullaround for many years and also one that most recently has become thousands and thousands of peoples’ dreams. “How do I become a poker pro? How do I get sponsored? How do I live my poker dream?” This sums the questions up I have been recently asked.

It appears to many that I am the person to ask this, I guess I am. I have had discussions with many a poker pro in this world, from the biggest to the smallest; specifically on this subject. I have recently been a main contributor in the sponsoring process of Cindy “QUEEN-BEE” Morgan as the Brand Ambassador for raidbet.net from start to finish and indeed was one of the first to speak to Billy The Croc on his recent FTP signing. I believe I was the first to write both stories.


So to save everyone asking me all the time, I thought this would be a great thing to write down for you all; my thoughts, beliefs and advice on doing the above.

The 3 questions asked above indeed all need in depth answers. There is a lot to cover for all three. More then I can place in this blog entry. Because this is the case, I shall answer one of these questions for three weeks running.

Firstly as mentioned in Eat Professional Poker Players Alive, I wrote that “I myself am not a Pro!” I must make this clear. Many people do believe I am a professional poker player but again, I am not. This however is through choice. I would have been a pro player by now if I wanted to. I do not wish to do this at this time in my life. This brings me to answer question number 1 that everyone asks me. How do I become a pro?

A professional poker player can be defined as someone who makes their entire living from poker. A person whom is a professional, who pays taxes each year as a professional! Being a professional poker player needs to be clear in your mind. It does not necessarily mean “Sponsorship.” “Playing on an online site with a red mark against your name” or anything of that kind. It is a job in basic terms.

To clarify how to become a pro is simple for me to do. You need to have your timing and finances perfect, this is not an easy job/position to step into. Firstly, ensure that your poker earnings are exceeding your 9 to 5 job earnings. As the saying goes, don’t give up your day job! Until you are making a large enough income to pay rent, utilities, food and all living costs from poker you must not attempt to become a pro as your living. Many people get to this stage by working their normal job and designating an extra 4 hours minimal per day to increase their poker bank rolls. This is the most important factor of how you become pro. Ensure you can!

When you are making enough money to support yourself living wise and have a great “poker” bankroll to continue playing in tournaments and cash games which will fund you daily. Basically you ARE a pro. There is no real answer as to how do I become one, it happens through poker skill, bank roll management and careful planning. You will indeed know when you are at that stage. When reaching it, in the bin with your old job and best of luck on the felt. Remember though that as a pro you will need to pay taxes. Ensure you know all legalities revolving around your new job.

Stay tuned for question number 2 to be answered in my next blog, “How do I get sponsored?”

Danielle - AKA - Hot Aussie Chick xoxoxoxox


2 comments:

Rodolfo Montanari said...

These matters are really very interesting to me.

I play poker as non-professional, but obviously I often wonder about the world of Poker (in Italy where I live and everywhere).

July 2, 2009 at 2:18 AM
QUEEN-BEE said...

Great blog Danielle

July 2, 2009 at 3:05 AM
Related Posts with Thumbnails