Friday, July 10, 2009

Auto Select Feature Can Be the Devil!

The auto select feature on an online poker tables can be a handy little tool, especially when multi-tabling (playing on multiple tables). This tool can also be the devil though. I learnt a hard lesson the other day, one I will not forget while using this feature. Don’t get me wrong! Again, I say that this internet poker tool can be a highly handy one indeed. Forever will I use it for FOLDING, auto call/check though I am now not so certain! ;)

Here’s why: I was deep into a tournament only 2 days ago and leading by a mile. Blinds were 800/400; antes had kicked in. I was sitting in the 1st place with 29k+ in chips; the 2nd player was on 25k chips. Third place was on 7k chips and from third down, the chip stack obviously was lower. A massive 22k lay in front of everyone in the pot. I thought I had another tourney wrapped up! BUT! I used the auto call button!

In online gaming; bad beats are quite common; though not usually inflicted upon you by yourself! I had 4, 5 of clubs for the 3rd time in a row, this time in the big blind and in an emotional burst I decided that I would play it this time! There was a raise of only $800 (minimum raise) till then. As I clicked “CALL”, 2nd in chips went all in with their 25k – since I was multi-tabling I could not change the option to fold quick enough, the other online poker players following this person had “auto fold” already clicked. And there I was! Up against pocket aces, my little 4 and 5 of clubs stood no chance. My stack was all but gone.

From now on I will use the auto feature to FOLD ONLY! This is a choice we can make and always a personal choice for each of us. So here is a wise lesson learnt through the loss of big money. A nice weekly wage down the drain and me final table bubble girl!

Though this won’t classify as a classical example of a bad beat, it is said that “bad beats happen and that’s poker!”

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails