Friday, March 26, 2010

My Poker Road, Poker Dreams and Poker Destiny

Poker has been a game played around me since childhood; but my actual poker journey started due to a down time in my life. I had lost everything after being the victim of a brutal attack. I left an executive high profile career behind, lost my house, my husband and my dignity.

One lonely night I sat by my PC, a mother of 4 kids; I didn’t get out very much and was sick of my dormant life. I found party poker play money and on the very first night of registering and playing managed to wind up on a table full of Aussies. These Aussie's told me how they played every night online as they had a beer and chilled. There was also a few Americans and Europeans as part of the tight nit group. I played on party poker with these people (who remain close friends to this day) every night for 6 months.

As I played on these tables I looked at the poker industry, I saw it suitable for all walks of life and I thought to myself “I am getting pretty good at this, I should play for real money!” I deposited on FTP instead of party poker as when reading forums it seemed that’s where everyone played. I also joined Gus Hansen’s theplayr.com. I was given a ton of advice from the forum members and read a lot of strategy. I went onto be moderator and news writer at the forum after they discovered my writing talent. I was put down and abused for this by a man in my life. “Why are you playing so much poker? You are an idiot! You won’t ever make a razoo, you’re useless in every way and you think you can go and talk to Gus Hansen?”. That day of “words” I made a bet that I would be “known” by Australian Poker players in 12 months.

I was noticed at the playr.com by Jack Mcadoo and after a 5 minute interview snapped up by pokerpodradio.com as the co-host with my segment covering areas of Australia, Asia and New Zealand. I also helped co-author some chapters in a poker book on poker forums and Seven Card Stud Hi.

This saw me make headlines (It’s All about Poker for Hot Aussie Chick) in a new Australian Poker Publication (APW). I then started covering Hot Topics in Australia and beyond and doing interviews with winners and professional poker players when required and sometimes by choice. Forgive me if any of this is out of order, it all happened very fast.

I then became a mod, admin and guest at DrCheckraise.com and various other online sites. I covered what I could media wise for each place, I felt I now had a life beyond 4 walls and a brutal attack horror story.

My journey then saw me move to Cybertech an online gaming software development company as the Manager of Aus/ N/z Division and then Global Director of PR. I was selected due to my poker knowledge, I.T. , marketing and accounting qualifications.

I have now been joyfully snapped up by womanpokerplayer mag covering poker in Australia and also started WTF Poker and Women’s Poker News. I have had a nice few trips away including a beautiful cruise boat tour followed by dinner at the Rockpool in Sydney with Barry Shulman and Allyn Shulman (Cardplayer and Spadeclub and Allyn a legal and director of the Poker Players Alliance). Making great friends in the poker industry is something I will treasure forever.

I have no destination; and no pit stops. What I do have is a love for the game, writing about it and being in this phenomenal industry. My final phase in my poker road will take me to live tourney tables and to the online majors weekly. A few big wins will evidently send me on my way to the ANZPT and APPT tours.

To date I have battled boardrooms, tables illnesses, motherhood and haters. I am definitely in the minority group in the industry and it has been very tough to continue along this road of roadblocks and pot holes because of it. Marsha Waggoner is a great remote mentor without her even trying; just by watching her and getting some inspiring comments from her I know that being a woman with children you can strive to whatever level on mountains heights you like if you set your mind to it. One day; a small dream I will be like her, a beautiful person a mentor and a recognised player (not just poker personality) in Australia.

I for now pursue the top of the mountain climb with full knowledge I will get there. When I succeed at this climb it will show other ladies and also gents it can be done, regardless of the falls, stumbles, health issues and family issues they may face.

I am like everyone that reads this; human. I am not a robotic piece of machinery or junk; things beyond my control still step in my way; my health right now an obvious one. I have feelings and thoughts too; associated with my presence amongst others and how they perceive me. One day I am hoping I get merely the respect I deserve by everyone around me for achieving for myself, my family and others some level of success and for my input and support to other players and businesses in this crazy poker world. I guess it won’t come until I erase some “names” from tables as I climb the final step of my mountain in bounds. I may not be the best tomorrow but I am pushing myself and hoping it won’t be long until I am at least up there with Aussies finest players.

My last timeline bet was 12 months; it took me 3 months to achieve my objective. This time I am saving the backing until I deal with health and other private matters being a new major roadblock in my way. Here’s hoping I can drop that time down too! AMEN to the PPA!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails